"How will I know when it's time to get my hearing checked?"
Most adults received their last hearing test when they were in grade school. It is a good idea to have your hearing checked when you are an adult at least once during your annual physical. Did you know that you can now get your hearing checked at your annual eye exam now?
Some of the signs that might prompt you to get a hearing test could include:
- Your hearing is dull like there is water in your ears.
- Regularly asking people to repeat themselves or slow down during a conversation.
- Cranking your television or car stereo to extremely high volumes (if your neighbors begin to complain, that’s a good indication you should see a hearing specialist right away).
- When you’re in a loud environment, you have trouble hearing conversations.
- Having a very hard time comprehending people when talking on the phone, mobile or otherwise
- It’s normal for hearing loss in the high pitched register to fail first and since consonants are in a higher pitched register than vowels, they generally go first.
There are definitely other occasions besides your yearly hearing exam that you may want to make an appointment with your hearing specialist. For example, if you recognize signs of hearing loss. And in those cases, it’s often a good idea to promptly get in touch with a hearing professional and schedule a hearing test.